Monday 6 August 2007

Waghorn of Suez

Just before I left New Zealand to come to Britain, more years ago now than I am prepared to acknowledge, my great aunt took me aside to give me two pieces of information which she thought might prove useful to me on my travels. The first concerned my great-great grandfather, a man by the name of Thomas Fletcher Waghorn, to whom family folklore attributed the honour of having been the driving force behind the construction of the Suez Canal.

That this was not true – or was at least true only in part, and then with qualifications – I was later to learn. But what my great aunt wished to impress upon me at the time was most of all the extent to which the British Government had failed, and History itself under-valued my heroic ancestor - so that it was going to be up to me now, as family representative travelling abroad, to disentangle noble truth from base misrepresentation, and try to gain for the the poor man the credit he deserved.

“When you pass through the Suez Canal
” my great aunt told me; “You will see a handsome statue to Ferdinand de Lesseps; and to your great-great-grandfather something altogether humbler - it stands above a public lavatory now, I believe! But it bears an inscription from de Lesseps himself, in which he pays tribute to the part which your great-great-grandfather played in the Canal’s construction.“

I saw neither of these statues, as it turned out. The ship I sailed on was to have called at Aden, but there was a strike on in Aden that day which would have made it dangerous, and so we put down anchor at Port Said, in Yemen instead. I learned many years later that the Waghorn statue had in fact been demolished during the course of construction work in the area; but I have seen photographs of it in the National Geographic magazine and other publications, and have established that it was raised for him by de Lesseps on the occasion of the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869, and that it did indeed bear an inscription which said, among other things, "Where he led, we followed."

The other thing my great-aunt wished to say to me was more a stern admonition than an item of family history. It concerned a second cousin of my father’s, a girl who had left New Zealand to go to England earlier in the century, and who, according to my aunt, had brought the family reputation into wilful disrepute. “Whatever you do, don’t do as she did!” I was warned. “Kathleen was a wicked girl – she spent all her father’s money and she broke her mother’s heart!”

The ‘Kathleen’ in question was in fact the writer Katherine Mansfield – and it has always seemed to me that if I wished for proof of the validity of the biblical quotation “A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country and in his own house”, I had only to remember my great aunt’s brusque dismissal of the achievements of my unfortunate cousin twice removed, Kathleen.

I had been in England many years before I found the time or inclination to try to trace either of these family connections to their roots. I had married, and raised a family; and although I had studied the life and work of Katherine Mansfield in some depth - being especially interested in her connection with those other favourites of mine, Virginia Woolf ( who was rather spiteful about her while she lived; though did pay fulsome enough tribute to her after she had died); and D.H.Lawrence... although I identified quite closely for a time with Katherine Mansfield, for poor old forgotten Thomas Waghorn, I scarcely spared a thought in more than twenty five years.

I literally stumbled, in the end, upon the full story of the man who is sometimes still referred to as ‘Waghorn of Suez’. I had happened to be planning a visit to the Medway towns, and in thumbing through a guidebook for Chatham and Rochester, came upon what was to me the magical phrase “Waghorn Memorial’. So there it was – he had been born in Chatham and they had honoured him there! The citizens of Chatham had put up a bronze statue to his memory; his grave is outside the vestry door at the church of All Saints, Snodland; and there is a memorial to him on the south wall of the nave.

I discovered too, that in the Encyclopaedia Britannica entry for Chatham, Kent, only two prominent former citizens are deemed worthy of mention – one is Charles Dickens, the other Thomas Waghorn. This was the sort of stuff to warm my great-great-granddaughterly heart - if only I had been able to phone New Zealand to tell my great aunt and my father! But alas, my discovery had come too late for that. My great-aunt was long dead by then; as were all my other great aunts and elderly cousins - and sadly, also my father, whose delight would have been greatest of all.

My father had earlier been over here on a visit, and had spent much time trying to locate the facts – any facts - about his great-grandfather Waghorn. He had gone about the country following all the slender leads he had, but had come up with nothing; not even the date, or place of his birth. All he found was a written tribute left by the novelist William Thackeray, which he discovered in an old book, in a library in Exeter........ Thackeray had been one of those Victorians intrepid enough to travel on Waghorn’s Overland Route from Cairo to Suez, and he had remembered the occasion, and the man, with these rather astonishingly ringing words:

But what are his (Napoleon’s) wonders compared to Waghorn’s? Napoleon massacred the Mamelukes at the Pyramids; Waghorn has conquered the Pyramids themselves; dragged the unwieldy structures a month nearer England than they were, and brought the country with them..... Be ours, the trophies of peace! Oh my country! Oh Waghorn!”

The story of Thomas Waghorn is a short one, full of tremendous incident – but ending sadly. He gave his life, and every penny of his money to his dream of creating a shortcut between Britain and India; but in the end, events – and his own government – were against him, and he died, aged only fifty and virtually penniless, without ever seeing any of the fruits of his labours. There is a splendid account of his life and exploits in the National Dictionary of Biography, and I wish I were able to reproduce it here in full, for it tells his story in greater detail, and with considerably greater flair, than I am going to be able to do.

There is more to tell – lots more, and it’s rather thrilling, Boys’ Own stuff! There’s also the oddest little twist of history at the end – nothing is ever quite what it seems, I have learnt, when it comes to family folklore passed down by word of mouth through generations! I think I have probably said enough for one day and one post, however. But for anyone who might be interested in learning more, I shall try to come back again another day, to complete the tale.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting piece - two Kiwis who made an impact in two very different ways.

I Beatrice said...

Thank you for that Anon. A prompt response from you as always - in the light of which it seems almost ungracious to have to point out that Waghorn himself was never in fact a Kiwi! He was every inch an Englishman; it was only his descendents who later found their way out to Oz and then NZ....

I often look at the portrait in miniature that I have of him - a beautiful little thing in a tiny silver frame, with threadbare velvet backing - and consider how it must have gone all the way out to the Antipodes in someone's huge trunk; and then come all the way back again with me, more than a century later!

Interestingly too, although the Waghorns, and the Beauchamps (Katherine Mansfield's people) are so vastly different in type, and aspirations - they both became forebears of mine by way of the same family.......

Anonymous said...

ssssssssssssssso very interesting - when can we learn more? Rosalind.

I Beatrice said...

Rosalind, thank you so much for your comment. I shall try to post Part Two today or tomorrow - depending upon when I receive from the kind people at the Oxford DNB an e-mail transcript (with copyright permission attached!) of their excellent entry on Waghorn; which I have decided is going to be much the best way of completing the tale...

Anonymous said...

Nb - not sure if it is just me but I found the just blogging bit quite hard to find, as you had to go in via the profile - perhaps seasoned bloggers know to do that?

I Beatrice said...

Yes, Anon,I have wondered about that myself. But the truth is, I'm not an awfully seasoned blogger myself, and know of no other way...

Perhaps somebody kind and accomplished (like Mutley) will step in to point me in a more user-friendly direction?

Do you know much about Sappho btw? (Thought you might have studied her?) If you go to my comments on the other page (Away on Holiday), you will see what my present preoccupation is, and why I ask.

Anonymous said...

All I know of Sappho is that she wrote poetry and lived on Lesbos but I can't recall any quotes I'm afraid!

I Beatrice said...

Yes, I feared that might be the case!

No trace anywhere, alas, of the source of the Salinger title "Raise high the roofbeam carpenters, the bridegroom cometh", which I had a vague fancy about putting into the mouth of my 'Hortense'...

My own best guess had been 'Song of Solomon', but no luck there I'm afraid. And then I thought it might have been a kind of corruption of something of Sappho's - but perhaps it's as I remarked to Mutley on the other page - perhaps Salinger simply made it up for himself?

Anonymous said...

An exquisitely crafted piece which, Im sure, will gladden the heart of any family members who read it, whether here or in NZ. I look forward to the next instalment.

I Beatrice said...

Many thanks for that vote of confidence Flaw!

I have always thought there was a magnificent biography of Waghorn to be written (with film rights more or less assured!). The DNB account will establish that I think...

But it will be up to family members to research and write it, I fear - there being altogether too much manly adventure and incident for me to tackle.

Jan said...

WHAT a great Blog!
I have read it once and am just off to read it again...

Catherine said...

What a fascinating ancestry Beatrice. I have recently been reading a Rose Tremaine novel about NZ, called 'The Colour'. I think it is the first book I have ever read about NZ - have you come across it, or shall I lend it to you?

I am currently in Turkey with 'The
Janissary Tree', via the wilds of Canada and 'The Tenderness of Wolves'. Both good and interesting reads.

I Beatrice said...

To Jan and Marianne both: thanks so much for reading and commenting. I wanted to do something for the poor man - but have been thrown into a quandary again by the entirely unsympathetic portrait of him that was emailed to me by the Oxford DNB.

Their author will give him credit for nothing, and obviously disliked him intensely! Which is so very strange, since the earlier account published in the old DNB (before Oxford UP took it over) threw it all into an entirely different, and much more sympathetic light.

Perhaps the fashions change in History-recording, just as they do in everything else? (An unlikeable thought that, don't you think?)

I'd love to be able to use the earlier write-up - but fear there would be serious copyright issues. Now, I think I might have to abandon Part Two!

(Whatever would my great aunt say to me now, I wonder?)

PS. I'll look out for that Rose Tremaine book, Marianne..

Anonymous said...

Like yourself, I found it hard to believe when my family told me that I was related to Thomas Fletcher Waghorn RN and that he was the pioneer of the Overland Route via Suez to India. Records of his exploits, including his wounding in the first Burma War, have been published.
I would recommend visiting both of the following websites;
www.michelhoude.com and www.snodlandhistory.org.uk
The first site is that of a philatelist whose research on T F Waghorn RN is excellent. The site has several images of your ancestor.
The second site is also very good, and the researcher on T F Waghorn RN is, I believe, intending to publish a book on our ancestor.
There are many other sites that include details of T F Waghorn RN and these can be found by searching for 'Thomas Waghorn RN'.
The fact that you were unable to see the statue of him erected by Ferdinand de Lesseps along the Suez is because it was destroyed during the 1956 "Egyptian Crisis".
Hope this is useful.
Regards

I Beatrice said...

To Thomas Waghorn: I have just returned from a holiday in Tuscany, so have not seen your comment till now. I'm fascinated to learn of your existence though, and of our possible family connections - so do please email me to continue the correspondence if you feel inclined...

I had intended posting a second instalment to the story, but the piece sent to me by the OUP DNB (hope you understand the references, which are too long to type in full) was so entirely unsympathetic to poor old Thomas Waghorn, that I was both angry and discouraged, and decided against it. The piece I had read years earlier was entirely different - as have been all the others that I have come across. Including the very long piece online in Saudi Aramco World.

My later family researches proved that Waghorn had no children btw - so there was no way he could have been anybody's grandfather! My family had got that part of the story wrong - and our connection was in fact through his sister Sarah Waghorn, who went to Australia, where she married John Beauchamp, and became my great-great-grandmother...

I have a miniature in oil of the young Thomas Fletcher Waghorn in my possession. It must have gone all the way out to Australia in his sister's trunk - and returned to England with me more than a century later!

Do keep in touch - we may be distant cousins!

Agape said...

Hello my dear,
Something happened here at work and blogspot is open again for us, so I gotta be quick before they block it again :)

Found this second blog here, and as I don't want to spoil the novel, I am commenting here.

I will read the novel and this blog as soon as I can, is just late nights and early morning are getting the best of me and with the blogspot blocking its been hard to keep up with the visits.

Hope you are not closing the novel blog and also you keep this one, yours are such pleasure reading :)

I'll read it with time later.

XX
Agape

Agape said...

I so love the fact english family has so many traditions. Many of families of Brazil were born from men/women escaping terriblw wars and they always made sure the history behind is forgotten (along with their affairs). I very much miss the fact we don't knwo what our past was and who were they formed by, but who knows one day when I don't have to sit in fron a computer 8 hours a day and spent another 3 going to or from it commuting I'll build up the courage to do so. Tell us more !!

Anonymous said...

Dear Beatrice,I too am a direct descendant of Thomas Waghorn and would be fascinated to know what our family connection is.I know not of any New Zealand connection within my family and would love to know more about you.

I Beatrice said...

Waghorn was not my grandfather at all as it turned out, Anonynous. This was to have emerged in the second episode of the story, when I published the account of his life given by the National Dictionary of Biography. However, as I explained to another commenter, the DNB account is not the one I had read myself some years ago, but has been updated - and it gives such an unsympathetic acount of poor old Waghorn that there was no way on earth I was going to publish it in my own name! So the second instalment never did get written.

What it would also have explained, was that when I came to research my family ancestry, I found that although Thomas Waghorn had married twice, he had had no children - which meant there was no way he could have been anyone's grandfather!

Further research showed that I was descended from his sister Sarah, who was married in Snodland on the same day as he was, but later emigrated to Australia where she had a daughter; another Sarah, who married John Beauchamp, and became my great great grandmother (and also connected the family to the Katherine Mansfield Beauchamps).

It must have been Sarah who carried the miniature of her brother all the way out to Ausralia on that long, long Victorian voyage - and it was I, her great-great-granddaughter, who brought it all the way back again a century later!

What puzzled me about this story, was the fact that my family had got it so very wrong! That old great-aunt of mine, for example - she can only have been a generation or so removed from Sarah Waghorn, so how could she not have known that Thomas Waghorn was in fact not her grandfather, but her great uncle? But as I said in the blog, by the time I had made my discoveries, all the people who might have been able to shed any light on the subject, were unfortunately already dead.

There now! I've written a reply that's almost as long as a second instalment anyway. I only hope it makes things a little clearer for you.

Anonymous said...

98Zovg Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

I Beatrice said...

Thank you for reading, and taking the trouble to leave a comment, 'Online Pharmacy' (on this, and an earlier entry)..... but it would be so nice if I only knew who you were!

patsy said...

my great grandfather was george frederick waghorn from chatham kent. we believe that he was related to thomas fletcher waghorn but we are just embarking on a family tree to try and prove this. we were very interested to read that you are related also. any furter information that you have would be greatly appreiciated.

patsy said...

my great grandfather was george frederick waghorn of chatham kent. we always believed that thomas fletcher waghorn was our great great great great grandfather but like yourself now believe thet he is an uncle. we are currently trying to research our family tree and any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.

I Beatrice said...

There is a wealth of information on Waghorn on the internet, Patsy. If you google the name, you will see the list, and can take your pick. I first visited the Family Records Office in London, for certificates etc - and then ploughed steadily through the pieces on the Net. One of the best, I think, is the entry under "Saudi Aramco World", which is both informative, and entertaining....

I believe that the Records Office at Chatham,Kent,also holds a great many documents on the subject. The people there tell me it would be well worth my making a visit, and I have always meant to do so, but have so far not made it.

Good luck with your own research - I guess we must be (very) distant cousins!

jkf said...

Hi Beatrice,

I read your blog with great interest as I am also a Kiwi living in England. The reason I came across it is because I now live in Chatham and felt I should know more about Thomas B Waghorn, whose statue I so regularly see. I should also let you know that your g-g-g-uncle is often found with a traffic cone on his head or pointing hand. I used to find this slightly disrespectful but having discovered that he is there and famous for his interest in travel, I feel perhaps it is not quite so insulting. It will presumably also mean that generations to continue to talk about him. I have noticed (although there is information on the web) there is not yet an entry in Wikipedia and thought you might like to add one. If you need a photo of the statue (with or without traffic cone) I am happy to provide one for you.

I Beatrice said...

I find that rather amusing JKF (nearly called you JFK - does that happen to you quite often?). I had heard somewhere else that it's said in Chatham that his statue, which is meant to be pointing in the direction of Suez, is actually pointing the way to the men's loos - so I found the traffic cone marginally more
dignified!

It's surprising how much interest Waghorn seems to have attracted - and yes, I'd love to see the photo of his statue sometime, if you could manage to email it to me (I think there's a link on the blog).

As for the Wikepedia idea - well I have just completed a very long blog-novel on my other page, so I'm all written-out just at the moment. But I'll certainly think about it in the future.

Many thanks for calling, and leaving your interesting comment.

merry weather said...

Hello Bea, I have a silly tag for you on my blog which you will probably gracefully decline, I know.

I was just reading this post and the comments, you have a lot to share, it's fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have a friend who has always maintained that Mr Waghorn was a great great great great great great uncle_ Almost certainly lol I was wondering if there was a way to find out for sure? His last name is clarke though I am not sure what his mothers maiden name is.

Denzeel